Video Trailer

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
For the upcoming Terrium Kickstarter and GDC exhibit, I will be displaying a video trailer for the game. I want it to be about a minute long. I've been working on a trailer outline, but want to hear your ideas before finalizing anything.

What would you like to see in the trailer for Terrium Beta? Share and discuss here. :)

Eric

Last edited:

Lamp

Community Admin
Ideally it'd show multiplayer gameplay, like dogfighting, so we'd need to have a gameplay session with a few players.

Kinda like this:

Last edited:
Would the trailer have to be of the new beta?
Cause it would be hard to make something with just 1 car and 1 map and no lasers or flying.

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
We are fairly restricted in what we can display from the rewrite. So, my approach for this trailer is to tease more than show off. Perhaps we can borrow a few snippets from old MarsXPLR dogfight videos to exhibit gameplay before featuring pieces of the rewrite (i.e. new vehicles, new lobby, new GUI, new world editor, etc.). We just won't have all the new vehicle physics along with the fully integrated laser tag game mode finished early enough for the Kickstarter trailer. I'd also like to show more than the one map we have at the moment.

Feel free to share any links to old MarsXPLR dogfight videos that show off how intensely fun multiplayer vehicular combat can get. :)

So I was bored this morning, and had some free time, and thought I would play around with some terrium video.
This is probably more revealing then you want, and it could be done better, plus it is not of the current beta. But this is what would interest me in a new game.
As you said you are already making something, so I didn't make this for the actual trailer (unless you like it that much) I rather made this to show some of my ideas on what would look cool. (the music is royalty free, by the way.)

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
So I was bored this morning, and had some free time, and thought I would play around with some terrium video.
This is probably more revealing then you want, and it could be done better, plus it is not of the current beta. But this is what would interest me in a new game.
As you said you are already making something, so I didn't make this for the actual trailer (unless you like it that much) I rather made this to show some of my ideas on what would look cool. (the music is royalty free, by the way.)
Given the current state of the game, using the pre-write build the way you did is wonderful! Love the SpookLurd gag in the beginning. ;) I'd be honored to have you finalize this production to be used as the official Terrium Kickstarter trailer. Of course, a video credit and special thanks on this site would be in due order. The prospect of being able to say this is a fan-made trailer excites me a lot. Makes me so proud of the community we have.

This is something I would be more than interested in doing!
Now is a good time for me to be doing editing as well since I will most likely have some free time in the next few weeks.

If you tell me your ideas and what you would like changed, I would be happy to perfect this video!

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
This is something I would be more than interested in doing!
Now is a good time for me to be doing editing as well since I will most likely have some free time in the next few weeks.

If you tell me your ideas and what you would like changed, I would be happy to perfect this video!
Soon I'll release a stable build with the world editor so that you can get some footage with it. Other than that, for now I would like for you to continue using your artistic discretion. Thank you!

Okay sounds good!
Would you want everything to take place in the latest build? Or could it be spread through different builds?

Okay,
So do you want me to film building and creating stuff in the editor? Or playing in the editor?

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
Also @Firespeed, you can extend the length of the trailer as you see fit. Don't feel confined to my planned 60 seconds. :)

Some ideas:
  1. New font...maybe more science fictiony. Let me know if you want me to consider any paid ones.
  2. Superimpose the hot words over footage rather than having a stark transition to a black slide with text (e.g. "EXPLORE").

Last edited:
Okay, I will try that. The music also has a few extra parts that could be good, so I could make a short version and an extended then you can decides whats best, if you want.

Also, what is the deadline? When does this need to be finished?

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
Ideally, I'd have the trailer produced, reviewed, and revised before the Terrium Kickstarter commencement date, Saturday, February 25. For the GDC, before March 1. Any time sooner would be used to provide ample feedback for revisions.

What timeframe works well for you? (I very much appreciate your support under such constraints.)