Server Settings and Dedicated Servers

Lamp

Community Admin
Ace suggested that worlds should have their own server settings that cannot be changed by the game host. I do well agree that worlds should have their own settings, but I do not agree that hosts should not be able to modify it.
Remember, one of the goals I suggested is that the Terrium experience should have as much variety as possible. This variety can be further increased if the host was allowed to modify the settings. Server settings offers great fun (and perhaps a bit of education) as server/game hosts can mess with interesting physics settings. Experienced hosts can fine tune the settings to create a certain effect that has never been experienced on that world before.
While it is true that hosts may abuse those settings, if you don't like the settings, just get out and go to a different room. Server hosting is like an art; to have people have fun and stay in your game/server, you need to have the settings right amongst other things.

This brings me to my other idea (making this a double-idea thread! Double'deas! :D):
Suppose you are a player who wants to play in a vanilla-ish server (a server with no tweaks and an inactive host who doesnt mess with people). Popular servers in Mars Explorer often had inactive hosts. Or, suppose you are a server hoster who wants to host a server without having a walking dead buggy in your server and a game wasting your resources. This is where dedicated servers come in:
Dedicated servers, just like in Bitfighter, are servers that are hosted outside of the game. Instead of hosting a server in the game, and having a dead buggy sitting around, you host the server with software that is just for hosting servers, so you don't have a game wasting resources and you don't have a dead player consuming a slot in your server.
Dedicated servers can be great for players who just want to play without having a host messing with them.

I think I recal Eric mentioning server settings will be implemented later when the rewrite is done.

Dedicated servers would be cool though. The problem is that you might have noobs hosting them, and there would be to many empty servers.

Lamp

Community Admin
I think I recal Eric mentioning server settings will be implemented later when the rewrite is done.

Dedicated servers would be cool though. The problem is that you might have noobs hosting them, and there would be to many empty servers.
Yeah we will have server settings, but I just wanted to post my opinion of it (probably should've done it earlier)

Two ideas to solve these problems are:
A. have a level system like in carbon combat so some games could be inaccessible to noobs (the downside to this is that people might start worrying about xp instead of having fun in the game)
B. have a list of beginner servers and once you have played for a while you could join any server (except the beginner ones)
just some ideas.

Lamp

Community Admin
Two ideas to solve these problems are:
A. have a level system like in carbon combat so some games could be inaccessible to noobs (the downside to this is that people might start worrying about xp instead of having fun in the game)
B. have a list of beginner servers and once you have played for a while you could join any server (except the beginner ones)
just some ideas.
Solve which problems? The problem of abuse of settings? That is not a problem at all.

Lamp

Community Admin
There's no problem with having "noobs" host their own rooms. There would be a problem if they couldn't.
If they abuse the server settings, well, so what? Don't play in their game. They'll probably ban you anyway... :p

There's no problem with having "noobs" host their own rooms. There would be a problem if they couldn't.
If they abuse the server settings, well, so what? Don't play in their game. They'll probably ban you anyway... :p
I hated when people banned me because I was good.

Lamp

Community Admin
Or you could host one.
That too. But if you want to just play with people, dedicated servers would be great because they'd probably always have players in them. If you host then you have to wait for players to come, which may or may not take a while depending on the amount of players online...

Separating beginners and pros is a bad idea, I think.
RCF did that so I couldn't play with some of my friends.

Lamp

Community Admin
Separating beginners and pros is a bad idea, I think.
RCF did that so I couldn't play with some of my friends.
Agreed; the gameplay should be exactly the same for new players as well as old players, like in Mars Explorer.
For now at least... maybe we'll get some upgrade kind-of stuff? :confused:
I don't want this game to become like a combat game, with like weapon upgrades and stuff. It's supposed to be a fun freestyle game where you do whatever you want. Player's shouldn't have balances of currency to buy stuff from a shop, or this game won't be like mars explorer anymore.

What?! No! Terrium is the sequel to Mars Explorer. It is parallel to Syn3h. It's supposed to revive the glory of Mars Explorer, therefore it must follow the basic rules of Mars Explorer, or it would not be a direct replacement. If Terrium is a different game, then why are we here? I'm here waiting years for a new Mars Explorer, but if that's not what I get, then...... WTF!
o sorry

Geometer

Former Lead Programmer
Dedicated servers should be possible. My question to you is, do you think we should have it be a "headless" instance or should the host have a camera in the game so they can see what's going on?