Optimization.

Spearmint

Keeper of the pathetic arguments
As a veteran implementer of a Dell Inspiron 500 that's better at toasting bread than playing games, I find it notable that the original Mars Explorer played perfectly well on my PC. I recently noted the addition of video options in the Alpha version; however, the fastest was still only a fraction of what you would consider playable. I understand that Unity has changed since 2012, but surely, a more suitable configuration option can be brought out of it. Now this may seem like a narrow-sighted gripe because of my personal and pathetic rig, but i think there are many, many others in the same boat as myself which could seriously bottleneck Terrium's player base. If this is already considered or outright impossible, I'd appreciate an explanation. If not, I'd be happy to test benchmarks on the unlikely occasion that I'd end up play testing such a feature.

*Edit* I'm aware that offline Terrium is stupidly more memory consuming than a browser based Mars Explorer, it's the video I'm concerned with.

Juest

Tester
sure, blame this industry for upping the standards and leaving out the old computers like yours. apparently pretty > performance
eric and co are trying to get it down to playable but its not going to be possible without sacrificing quality, imo.
terra/syn3h reboot has the same problem.
and not to mention that unity vanilla baseline assets are poor quality and underoptimized. i am not being negative about creators here.

Last edited:

Spearmint

Keeper of the pathetic arguments
Thanks for the reply. I guess the word choice of "fastest" instead of "faster" in the game options gave me the wrong impression of it's finality; but it's good to know that you guys have already acknowledged this. Best of luck, anyhow.

Juest

Tester
Those are just the default Unity preset names really. it's up for developers to pick the right stuff, altrough the preset does give some reasonable defaults but some of the features need to be implemented on the content.

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
Terrium is being optimized with each major update, but it will not be as lightweight as MarsXPLR for the reasons mentioned above. When a level of detail system is added though, the "fastest" setting will run substantially more smoothly.

Juest

Tester
Addendum: please note that this project is still in development stages so, optimizing the quality is a task that gets pushed back until other stuff is more feature complete and LOD becomes available on the assets themselves. altrough as eric said; optimization is already a ongoing task, just not finished.
Guaranteed that lowering the system requirements and opening up to older hardware will come in soon!