Kickstarter

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
Greetings!

As some of you know already, I will be Kickstarting Terrium during this summer once the rewrite is completed and it has undergone some beta testing. As I carefully craft a campaign, I want to reach out to you guys for any ideas you may have. For starters, what are some good websites/forums on which to advertise? And what are some good Kickstarter rewards for backers? Feel free to share anything. Thank you!

Eric

Lamp

Community Admin
When Terrium is released, there needs to be a super-duper ultra obvious reference to Terrium on the very front page. We'll probably contact Aubrey to install that, and get rid of the ridiculous "Community Reborn" link.

It would be nice to have a link to terrium on the server list of Mars too. Since some people just play the app.

Also I don't know how much you would pay for this but you could give an early version of the game/beta testing

Lamp

Community Admin
I think there are no plans for a price in the near future, but we might have a price in the future as the game evolves.

Ace_

Former Lead Developer
It might be sensible to upload the game to Steam Greenlight at the same time as the Kickstarter occurs. That way, it will get maximum exposure to a large audience.

A good trailer is key for Kickstarter campaigns, as is a good, clear description of the game itself, with plenty of images. You should include details of exactly what you plan to work on, etc.

As for rewards, I'd suggest an invitation to a "backer" skype group as a top-tier reward. I remember we ran such a thing back in the Mars days, which felt really exciting to be a part of (as long as it was used regularly)

Besides that, a "backers" credit reel could be added, and people who pay could be added? Perhaps vehicle skins, such as the retro buggy GTR34 made back in the day?
Idk, it seems difficult to provide rewards from a free online game.

Lamp

Community Admin
We should also put Terrium on the Mac App Store, Chrome Web Store, etc. Remember most of the Mars Explorer players (including me) found Mars Explorer through Apple's Dashboard Widget site.
Also there should be a mobile version of the game that uses the same multiplayer servers so you can play with them deskies on your mobie. Mars Explorer for mobile was boring, but it would probably be fun if it had multiplayer. Multiplayer is key; no game lasts long without multiplayer (as in how long you enjoy it).

Ace_

Former Lead Developer
no game lasts long without multiplayer (as in how long you enjoy it).
Going off-topic....

Just thought I'd leave this here. This is a screenshot from my Steam profile. Witcher 3 is as single-player as you can get; no multiplayer interactions of ANY kind exist in that game.

The problem with multiplayer games is they HAVE to have a large playerbase to be really good (see Evolve for more notes on this). Since Terrium is less competitive than an average game, it will require a smaller (but still large) number of concurrent users to be successful.

... aaaand back on topic.

Eric

Founder & Lead Developer
Finalizing my Kickstarter plans. Hope to share within a few days. Let me know if you come up with any more ideas!