Dropbox is killing public folder

Lamp

Community Admin
I just got an email from Dropbox:
————————————————————————
Hi <me>,

We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team

————————————————————————
Dropbox is killing the public folder.
This is going to cause trouble.
There are a lot of stuff that use the Dropbox public folders, like Mars Explorer worlds.
After March 15, 2017, all files, including Mars Explorer worlds, hosted using the Dropbox public folder in free accounts will be inaccessible.
I think the public folders of premium accounts won't be affected, but from what they said it might happen later.

Last edited:

Lamp

Community Admin
Apparently Dropbox was not a reliable host. They keep killing things and they close inactive accounts. There was also the problem where people clean out or rearrange their public folder and break links.
Now there is no longer any benefit of using Dropbox. Dropbox is becoming exactly like Google Drive, but GD is much better. I switched to GD a while ago.

One good option for static web hosting like MX worlds is Google Sites, because the files are located like a static server. The pages work like directories and the attachments are like contents of the directory.
However, you only get 100mb of storage, so it is not good for large files, but it is reliable and will probably work for a long time so it is good for small stuff. You can make as many sites as you want and get 100mb each.
Here's freestyle hosted in GS: https://sites.google.com/site/mxwhirlds/freestyle/Whirld.utw
[edit 3/11/17] Google Sites no longer can be used for hosting.

Other than that, the only choice for free static hosting (which the Dropbox public folder did) AFAIK is to use a free webhost like 000webhost.

[edit 3/11/17] I recently discovered Github as a good alternative for static hosting.

Last edited:

Lamp

Community Admin
what's so difficult about saving a backup on a hard drive
That's not the issue here. The problem is many links will break because the DB public folder was often used for static web hosting. The owners of the accounts hosting the data can re-host the data and give new links, but in our case with worlds the account owners are gone. And also it's now more difficult to find a good service for static web hosting. Dropbox was great and unique because of the public folder but now it's no better than GD :( oh well

btw it is a good idea to save a backup of your cloud storage locally. If you have your DB/GD sync with your computer and you regularly take backups of the entire system, this would already be done automatically :D